Colorado's 2014 Most Significant Artifacts!
Each item below tells a story and collectively represents the diverse history of Colorado. Your votes highlight the importance of our historic and cultural heritage!
Thank you to all the cultural heritage organizations throughout Colorado that have participated in this program. This campaign honors and recognizes your care and preservation of documents, films, diaries, books and other artifacts that allow visitors to better understand the diversity of our states history!
The following Artifacts were voted on by the public as Colorado's 2014 Top Ten Significant Artifacts!
(Listed in alphabetical order)
- "Alma King" Rhodochrosite: Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- CF&I Mine Rescue Car No. 1, 1882: The Steelworks Center of the West, Pueblo
- Cheyenne Dog Soldier Ledgerbook, 1860's: History Colorado
- Colorado State Assembly, 1890's - Digital Photo: Center for Colorado & the West at Auraria Library
- Draft of the Wilderness Act, 1956: Denver Public Library
- Franktown Cave Moccasin, AD 1215 to 1270: University of Denver, Museum of Anthropology
- Harvey T. Carter's Climbing Archive, 1950's: American Alpine Club Library
- Map of Gold Regions near Central City, 1862: Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library
- Mollie Dorsey Sanford Diaries, 1857-1906: Littleton Museum
- Dr. Richard W. Corwin Scrapbook, 1881- 1929: Pueblo City-County Library District
2014 Most Significant Artifact Honorees
- Denison Stethoscope, 1880's: University of Colorado Denver, Anshutz Medical Campus: Health Sciences Library
- El Heraldo del Valle Newspaper Office - Photo: San Luis Museum and Cultural Center
- Hand drawn Fire Pumper, 1867: Denver Firefighters Museum
- First Colorado Telephone Directory, 1879: The Telecommunications History Group Archives
- 1912 Copy of De Re Metallica: National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum
- General Order Number 1 Establishing the U.S. Air Force Academy: U.S. Air Force Academy, McDermott Library - Archives
- "Gold Prospectors" Sculpture: Denver Museum of Nature & Science, Earth Sciences
- Jules Jürgensen Watch: Inscribed with Hon. Ralph Carr: University of Colorado, Heritage Center
- Otto Kuhler Watercolor of Streamlined Observation Car: Colorado Railroad Museum, Robert W. Richardson Library
- William Knabe Company Grand Piano Played by Albert Schweitzer: Aspen Historical Society
- U.S. Air Force Academy's Cadet Chapel, c. 1960 Photograph of the Construction: National Archives at Denver